Papas aliñás is one of the most popular recipes in Cádiz because of its simplicity and excellent result. Whether as a tapa, starter or first course, it is a great option for using foods that we always have at home: potatoes, onions or spring onions, parsley and basic ingredients such as oil, vinegar and salt. Although you can often find this dish with hard-boiled egg, tuna or olives, the traditional recipe does not include them, making it even simpler and more affordable than many people imagine.
In this way, the simplicity of papas aliñás finds its best ally in the use of quality ingredients; as they do not include any sauce, they are the ones that will make the difference so that the result is a success. Moreover, it is a dish that is always welcome on the hottest days of the year and can also be eaten all year round as an appetizer. Here are all the steps to prepare this Andalusian recipe.
A dish of papas aliñás. | Shutterstock
Ingredients for the papas aliñás recipe:
- 800 g of potatoes
- 1 spring onion or onion
- 210 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tin of canned tuna (optional)
- 1 hard-boiled egg (optional)
How to make papas aliñás:
- Wash the potatoes and put them in a casserole covered with water. Cook them until they are soft, approximately 25 minutes. Pierce them with a toothpick to check if they are done and, if so, take them out. Leave to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Put the oil, vinegar and salt in a bowl. Mix together to form the dressing. Also peel and chop the spring onion, and chop the parsley. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into medium-sized pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a large bowl and sprinkle them with the dressing from the previous step while they are still warm so that they absorb the oil well. Add the spring onion and parsley. Mix carefully and add a little more oil if you notice that the potatoes are dry.
- You can leave your potatoes as they are or add a can of tuna. Before adding to the bowl, drain and shred the tuna. Stir again to mix all the ingredients together and serve the potatoes at room temperature. Optionally, you can also serve them with a hard-boiled egg cut into slices.