Panchineta is one of the traditional desserts of the Spanish Basque Country, a typical Basque pastry that has become a classic in the city of San Sebastián. It is a puff pastry cake with almonds and pastry cream, very easy and quick to prepare, which will delight sweets lovers. It is a perfect dessert for all occasions and for all kinds of people, as different types of jams can be added to adapt it to our tastes.
Ingredients for the Panchineta recipe
- 2 sheets of puff pastry 28×30 cm
- 100 g raw flaked almonds
- Pastry cream
- Jam at will
- Cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1 beaten egg
- For the pastry cream
- 375 ml whole milk
- 90 g sugar
- 30 g cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
Preparation of the Panchineta
- First of all, you have to prepare the pastry cream. Pour the cold milk into a saucepan, it is important that it is cold so that the cornflour does not become lumpy. Then add the cornflour, the sugar, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and the egg yolks. Place the saucepan on a medium-high heat and then beat with a balloon whisk without stopping. When the cream begins to thicken, it will be ready. Pour the cream into a bowl and cover with cling film. Set aside until the cream is cold, then put it in a piping bag and store in the refrigerator.
- It is time to assemble the panchineta. Spread a sheet of puff pastry on a baking tray. Prick the entire surface with a fork, leaving a space of two fingers around the edges. Cover the entire surface with jam if desired (strawberries, apricots, raspberries) and then add the pastry cream. Try not to put anything around the edges that you have not pricked. Spread well with a spatula. Add half of the flaked almonds. Spread the almonds well in the pastry cream.
- Sprinkle a little powdered cinnamon over the whole surface. Beat an egg and paint all the edge of the dough, this will help it to stick to the other sheet that you have to put next.
- Cover with the other sheet of puff pastry, making sure it matches. Seal the whole edge with a fork, as if it were an empanada. Paint the whole surface with beaten egg. Spread the other half of the slivered almonds on top, making sure they do not fall over the edges. Bake at 200 ºC for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown to taste.