Magras con tomate is a traditional recipe from Murcia, usually eaten as a tapa but also as an excellent main dish served with fries or rice. Made with lean pork and crushed tomatoes, the result is a delicious combination with an elaboration quite easy to make. You can eat it both hot and cold and from one day to the next. You should always have it with a good piece of bread, because the sauce is too much! Shall we start with the recipe?
Ingredients for the magras con tomate recipe:
- 500 g lean pork cut into bite-size cubes
- 500 g crushed tomato/tomato sauce
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 ml white wine
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil and salt
How to make it:
- Salt and pepper the pork cut into bite-size cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion. Also chop the peppers into small pieces and mince the garlic.
- Add a little oil to the casserole you are going to use for these magras con tomate recipe and fry the peppers with a little salt. Let them roast lightly and remove from the heat when they are tender. Set aside.
- In the same casserole, brown the meat until it acquires colour and add the onion and garlic. Stir well and leave for 5 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is semitransparent.
- Then add the crushed tomato and stir. Leave to cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes. Then add the wine and put it on high heat until the alcohol evaporates.
- When the wine alcohol evaporates, put the lid on when it reaches boiling point and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, until the sauce reduces. Stir from time to time and, if you see that the magras are starting to dry out, add a little water (you can take advantage of this to rinse the tomato jar). Ideally, the sauce should be juicy and not too liquid.
- After the 20 minutes, remove the lid and add the peppers that you had reserved before. Add a little black pepper and stir everything. Also, check the salt and acidity, adding salt or a spoonful of sugar if necessary. Finally, cook everything over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Let your magras con tomate cool down for a few minutes and serve them with some delicious fries!