This flaó cheesecake recipe is traditional from the beautiful island of Ibiza. It has been prepared in Ibizan homes for a long time for all kinds of special occasions. Its origin goes back to the Ibizan Middle Ages, where it was eaten on Easter Sunday.
Its touch of mint fills the whole flavor of this delicious fresh cheesecake and gives it a unique flavor and color. And it is precisely the color that surprises those who try this dessert. Without a doubt, a fresh and tasty option that you have to dare to prepare.
Flaó, the cheescake from Ibiza | Shutterstock
Ingredients for the base:
- 500 g of pastry flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 200 g of white sugar
- 25 g of lard
- 25 g of yeast
- 50 ml of aniseed liqueur
Ingredients for the cream:
- 500 g of fresh goat cheese
- 4 medium eggs
- 375 g of white sugar
- 10 mint leaves
How to make the flaó:
- To begin, we will prepare the dough for the base of the cheesecake. First, beat the 3 eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar little by little and continue beating the batter. Now, add the rest of the ingredients: the flour, the lard, the baking powder and the aniseed liqueur. Beat the whole mixture well until the dough is homogeneous. Let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- While the dough rests, prepare the cake filling. Take another bowl and beat the eggs. Pour the sugar over the eggs and continue beating. Now add the fresh goat cheese to the mixture. Crumble it a little with your hands before adding it to the bowl, so it will be easier to stir this mixture. Add the mint leaves. You can add more if you wish.
- Take the dough and place it on the kitchen surface with a little flour sprinkled on it. With the help of a rolling pin, stretch the dough until you get a dough of about 1mm. Take the mold where you are going to bake the cake and grease it with a little butter. Sprinkle also some flour on the mold.
Now, place the dough already stretched on the mold, adjusting it well to the edges.
- Pour the filling mixture over the base. Bake the cake at 180ºC for about 50 minutes. When the time is up, let it cool for a while before putting it in the fridge. As decoration, you can add a few more mint leaves on top of the cake. We love to have it overnight, although for the impatient this is a challenge!