Mussels with escabeche sauce are a very traditional dish that can be eaten as a tapa before meals, at any time and in any situation. It is a very simple recipe that few people in Spain prepare because of the wide variety of this dish in Spanish supermarkets. However, outside it is more difficult to find good quality marinated mussels. This is why we suggest you prepare this simple recipe to surprise your guests. The most important thing, without a doubt, is to obtain large mussels of good quality so that the result is more eye-catching and tasty.
Ingredients for the Pickled (Marinated) Mussels Recipe
- 2 kg of mussels
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 350 ml olive oil
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 200 ml white wine
- 1 tbsp salt
- Pepper if desired
How to Make It:
- First of all, the mussels must be cleaned if they are dirty. Remove the hairs and scrape them well with a knife to remove impurities and remove the ones with open shells.
- Next, they must be cooked. Pour the white wine into a saucepan over high heat and, once it has reached boiling point, add the mussels.
- Cook over medium heat until they all open. Once ready, remove the shells and reserve the mussels and stock separately.
- It is now time to prepare the escabeche sauce. In a frying pan, add all the oil and, over medium-low heat, fry the bay leaf and garlic cloves. Once the garlic is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Then add the paprika when the oil is warmer. Leave to cook for a few seconds and finally add the vinegar, salt, pepper if desired and two spoonfuls of the mussel stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- This way you will have the sauce ready. Just add it to the mussels reserved in advance.
- Serve your mussels as an accompaniment to chips or lots of bread!