The Spanish patatas a lo pobre is one of the most popular ways to prepare potatoes. It is a recipe of Andalusian origin that has spread throughout Spain, becoming an essential accompaniment for almost every main dish. It is really easy to make and with ingredients that we all have in the kitchen. Besides, its delicious taste makes it one of our favourite traditional recipes! You can add eggs, Serrano ham or chorizo if you want to give your patatas a lo pobre even more flavour. Shall we start?
Ingredients for the Spanish patatas a lo pobre:
- 4 potatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
How to make the recipe:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Not too thin so they do not break when you cook them.
- Wash the peppers with water, dry them and cut them into slices, removing the tail and the seeds.
- Peel the onions and cut them in half. Then cut it into thin strips.
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan with oil and put it on a medium-low heat.
- Add the potatoes, peppers, the whole garlic cloves and onions together with a little salt and cook, stirring at first so that they are impregnated with oil and do not stick. The temperature of the fire should allow the potatoes to become tender but not brown.
- Let your patatas a lo pobre cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time carefully. However, the time they need to cook depends on the temperature of the fire and the thickness of the vegetables, so you can adjust this according to your own personal taste.
- If you want them to be slightly brown, you can turn up the heat during the last few minutes.