This recipe for beef stew is a classic in Spain and very easy to prepare. Besides getting the desired flavor, and that each person prepares it in a slightly different way, much of the success of this recipe lies in using beef that is tender. With this and a good sauce prepared with vegetables the result is delicious. You have also the variation traditional from Pamplona, made with bull. Shall we get started?
Ingredients for the Beef Stew Recipe:
- 500 g of beef cut into bite-size cubes
- Onion (1)
- Leek (1)
- Carrot (1)
- Potatoes (2)
- Garlic cloves (4)
- Tomato paste/sauce (200 ml)
- Parsley (1 spoonful)
- Flour (1 spoonful)
- White wine (250 ml)
- Bay leaf (1 leaf)
- Black pepper (1 pinch)
- Olive oil
How to Make It:
- Chop the onion, garlic and leek into very small pieces. Also peel the carrot and cut it into slices, as well as the potatoes (cut with a twist of the wrist so that they break a little).
- Put the pot on a medium heat with a little oil and, when it is hot, add the beef cubes together with a little salt. Let them cook and when they are golden move them a little bit so that they get golden all over. Take them out and set aside.
- In that same pot, add the onion, garlic, leek and carrots. Sauté them for about 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the tomato paste/sauce. Sauté for one minute.
- Then, add the meat to the pot and add a spoonful of flour. Stir for two minutes.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat so that the alcohol evaporates, it will take a couple of minutes. Take advantage of this to scratch the base of the pot a little, as the wine helps everything that may have stuck to it to come loose and thus its flavour will be part of the stew.
- Cover the ingredients with water, or if you have homemade vegetable or meat stock you can use it.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for about 1 and a half hours, which is when the meat is tender or almost so (you can try it to make sure). At this point add the potatoes and keep cooking the stew for 20 more minutes or until the potatoes are also tender, and if you need more liquid do not hesitate to add it so that it does not get dry.
- With the potatoes and beef already cooked, uncover the pot and if you want the sauce to be thicker let it reduce a little bit by turning up the heat for 5-10 minutes. And that is it, you have your beef stew ready!