Cantabria stands out for its rich cuisine in which its two landscapes, the sea and the mountains, are mixed. The sobao is born in the Pasiego valleys with their soft and warm microclimates, where there is a large cattle farm which produces very good quality milk and its derivative butter stands out as one of the main ingredients of the sobao.
Sobao Pasiego Protected Geographical Indication is centred on the so-called Pas region, located in the centre of the Cantabrian community. The ingredients used in this recipe are butter, wheat flour, sugar, eggs and salt. They come in rectangular sizes, with a solid consistency and a golden surface. You can appreciate the sponginess of this delicious sponge cake with its characteristic aroma. The sobao or sobao pasiego symbolises the meeting of all the ingredients; becoming a dish that brings together the cultural characteristics of the region. Do you want the recipe?
Ingredients for the Sobaos Pasiegos Recipe (12 units):
- 250 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250 g sugar
- 230 g wheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 12 g of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Zest of half a lemon
How to Make It:
- Beat the sugar and butter with a whisk until they are perfectly integrated in a homogeneous cream. Next, add the eggs (one by one) and beat constantly. Also add the salt and the lemon zest and continue beating.
- Place a thin sieve in the bowl and sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and keep on beating until everything is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Now it is time to bake it. You have two options: to pour all the dough into a baking tin or to make the genuine Sobaos paper moulds.
- If you choose the first option, pour the dough into a buttered rectangular baking tin. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 180ºC. It is better that it is less baked than overcooked, as it would be too dry and we want it to be spongy. Sobaos tend to brown a lot at the top, so be careful! Then, take it out of the oven and when it cools down, remove it from the mould.
- If you choose to make the Sobaos’ moulds, you can make them with baking paper or parchment paper. We recommend you to make them double, so that the dough does not spill out and is more perfect. Cut rectangles of about 20 cm long by 13 cm wide (depending on the size you want sobaos to be). Then you have to fold the edges inwards a couple of centimetres, and then adjust the tips. Bake for 20 minutes at 180ºC, in the middle of the oven with heat up and down. Then, take them out of the oven and let them cool down.
- There you have your delicious sobaos to enjoy a Spanish traditional breakfast, you can serve them with a good coffee, chocolate or milk!