Croquettes, as we all know, are always a hit. One of the many recipes that can be made with them is shrimp croquettes, a dish that cannot be missed at a Christmas dinner. This article will also present the formula of the mother of one of the colleagues of Fascinating Spain. Because, of course, the best croquettes are always the homemade ones, those of our grandmothers and those of all our lives. What if we started sharing our mothers’ recipes? But back to shrimp croquettes, it must be said that even cold they are delicious. So, if you don’t want to cook them while the guests are at home, you can leave them fried in advance and then heat them up in the microwave or serve them fresh. If the guests are trustworthy, they won’t say anything and they won’t even notice, as they will still be a sin of the gods, as Nuria, our partner’s mother, says. In fact, the balance of flour and milk in this recipe comes from her, who already made them this way before Chicote used those same ingredients and spread them on Youtube: 100 grams of flour and a liter of milk.
Ingredients for 30 shrimp croquettes:
- 250 g of shrimps in shell
- 100 g of wheat flour
- 1 l milk
- 50 g butter
- 50 g olive oil
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic
- Black pepper
For the batter:
- 2 eggs
- Wheat flour
- Bread crumbs
How to make the shrimp croquettes
Dish of croquettes with shrimp. | Shutterstock
- Peel the shrimp. On the one hand, chop the meat and reserve it in a bowl until almost the end of the recipe. On the other hand, add the heads and shells in a large frying pan with the olive oil. Then, fry the heads over medium heat to flavor the oil for 5 minutes.
- Separately, add the milk to a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the shrimp shells are fried, remove them from the pan and add them to the hot milk for 10 minutes so that they take all their flavor.
In the frying pan where we have fried the shrimps, and with the remaining oil, add the finely chopped onion and cook with a little salt for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Then add the butter and the chopped garlic to fry a little more. Then add the flour and continue frying for 10 minutes without browning too much.
- Gradually add the milk and stir with a balloon whisk to form the béchamel sauce. Once all the milk has been added, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Cook the béchamel sauce until it thickens for at least 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Finally, add the shrimp to the mixture and cook for a couple of minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl to cool completely with cling film. It is advisable that it spends the whole night in the refrigerator.
- Now, to form the croquettes in the most traditional way.To shape them we can help ourselves with two spoons taking portions of dough: this way we will not stain our hands so much. We pass each croquette first in flour, then in egg and breadcrumbs to finish.
- We can let them rest a little in the freezer or in the refrigerator so that they settle a little more. They just need to be fried in plenty of very hot sunflower oil and they are ready to be tasted.