Croquettes are one of the most traditional and delicious options for any kind of meal you can prepare. It is a time-consuming recipe as it consists of several steps that will take you several hours. But it is worth it, because once the croquettes are prepared, everyone will enjoy them like a child! After all, it is a meal in which you can go back to your childhood. They are a good idea to use those chicken leftovers you do not know what to do with!
Ingredients of the Roast Chicken Croquettes:
- 650 g roast chicken meat (approximate weight)
- 40 g of extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 100 g wheat flour
- 750 ml of milk
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml of the cooking liquid of the roast chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Pepper and salt
Ingredients to coat the Roast Chicken Croquettes
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to Make It:
- Clean the chicken and cut all the meat into small pieces with scissors. Set them aside.
- Chop the onion and garlic very finely, put a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add the oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion with a pinch of salt, mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the roast chicken and mix well so that everything fits together. Cook and stir for a few minutes over medium-high heat, then add the flour and stir for about 3-4 minutes more so that the flour cooks well.
- Add all the milk, stock, roast liquid and ground pepper to taste. Stir with a balloon whisk so that the flour dissolves very well and no lumps remain. Cook over medium-high heat when the dough starts to boil for 15 minutes without stopping stirring, add the nutmeg and stir.
- Taste the flavour and stir until the mixture is smooth. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, in total the mixture should be cooked for 20 minutes or until the dough slides off the bottom of the pan. Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with cling film. Once cooled to room temperature, keep in the refrigerator for a few hours or better overnight.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. In another bowl beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and then start to shape the croquettes. Take a portion of the dough and then pass it through the breadcrumbs. Finish shaping the croquettes with your hands to your liking. Secondly, bathe all the croquettes in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs to finish. Set the croquettes aside before frying.
- It is advisable to leave the croquettes in the fridge for a few hours so that the crust becomes compact and then crispier. To fry them, put a lot of oil in a frying pan over high heat until it is very hot. Fry the croquettes in batches until golden brown, remove them to a plate with absorbent paper and prepare them for eating!