The recipe for pisto is made in a different way in every house. There are those who prefer it with red peppers, others who do it with homemade tomato sauce, or those who do not include eggplant. Whichever mode of preparation, the truth is that all these options are delicious and easy to make. Shall we begin?
Ingredients for the Pisto recipe:
- 700 g ripe tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
How to Make Pisto:
- First cut the eggplant into cubes. Put it to drain in a colander, salt it well and leave for 30 minutes. After that time rinse it well to remove all the bitterness.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers. To do this press the tail between the fingers as you push it inwards until the surface breaks, and then pull up. Once clean cut it into more or less big pieces.
- On the other hand, chop the onion, cut the zucchini into square pieces and set aside.
- In a large pan with a great quantity of oil, add the garlic along with the onion. Let it fry lightly for a couple of minutes and then incorporate the peppers. Let these ingredients mix for about 5 minutes, and finally, add in the zucchini and the eggplant. Salt, add a little bit of oil if needed, and sauté for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the trunk of the tomatoes, peel it and remove the seeds. To make this easier you can blanch them in boiling water, or directly buy a pot of tomato.
- Finally, add the tomato and let it all cook together for about 15-20 minutes, until the pieces of tomato dissolve when touching it with the spoon. Occasionally stir so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- If it is very sour, add a teaspoon of sugar and you have your pisto ready!
The best idea? Accompany it with a delicious fried egg and a good piece of bread.