Menjar blanc is a very traditional and simple dessert prepared mainly in the region of Terres de l’Ebre, in the province of Tarragona, where rice cultivation is one of the most important economic activities. For this reason it is not surprising that the flour used in this recipe in the traditional way is rice flour. This recipe is interesting above all because of the indelible association with the region where it is prepared.
The menjar blanc is associated with the French blanc-manger; which is also thickened with rice, although cornstarch or potato starch can also be used. In this case you can prepare the most typical version of the towns located on the banks of the Ebro, flavoured with cinnamon and lemon and prepared with almond milk. A dessert suitable for everyone!
Ingredients for Menjar Blanc:
- 1 L of almond milk
- 100 g of sugar
- The peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150 g of rice flour
- Powdered cinnamon for decoration
How to Make Menjar Blanc:
- The menjar blanc is very simple to prepare, you just have to follow the same process as to prepare a traditional and delicious custard. Add half of the almond milk to a saucepan with the lemon peel, the cinnamon stick and the sugar. Take it to a medium heat and let it infuse for 20 minutes. Once the time has passed, turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the rice flour and gradually add the rest of the cold milk. The important thing is that there are no lumps left.
- Strain the milk to remove the cinnamon and lemon peel and return it to the pan with the milk where you have dissolved the rice flour. Take to medium-high heat and stir constantly with some balloon sticks until the mixture thickens, as happens with custard.
- To finish, pour the mixture into small bowls or containers and then sprinkle each one with a little cinnamon if desired. This dessert can be eaten hot or cold, depending on the taste of each person.