There are many sweets that we can taste during the Holy Week, but if we do not want to ‘sin’ too much, maybe it is convenient to take notes of this healthy torrijas recipe. One of the most characteristic sweets of the Holy Week is the “torrija”, although only one could give us energy for the whole day. If you want to enjoy this dessert without remorse, these healthy torrijas will save you from the craving.
1. To start this healthy torrija recipe, heat the vegetable milk. In this recipe we have used soy milk, but you can also use almond milk, oat milk or even skim milk. Pour the litre into a saucepan with the orange and lemon rinds, honey and cinnamon quills. As for the rinds, try not to go too deep into the cut, as the white part of the fruit can give a sour taste.
2. Heat for ten minutes and then leave to cool, removing the fruit peels. Meanwhile, preheat the oven between 200 and 210ºC depending on the power.
3. Cut the slices about two centimetres thick to make our healthy torrijas.
4. Pour the warm milk into a deep plate and leave the healthy torrijas to soak for a few minutes on each side.
5. Next, beat the eggs in another bowl. Pass the slices from the milk to the egg, soaking both sides.
6. With the oven already hot, there will not be much left to get our healthy torrijas. It will be time to place them on the oven tray and put them in.
7. Be careful not to burn them, turning our healthy torrijas over when they are golden brown. It will be enough with 5 minutes for each side.
8. When they are ready, place them on a plate and sprinkle with cinnamon powder to taste. You can always add natural sweeteners to this recipe, but is not necessary.