Calderillo bejarano is a typical stew from Béjar and the province of Salamanca, although its popularity is such that it is prepared throughout Castile and León. It is a beef stew that is cooked over a low heat with potatoes, green pepper, onion and bay leaf, as well as a little paprika. The secret is to prepare it without rushing, as it requires a couple of hours. The result is worth it: a hearty dish that finds a great ally in the bread, essential to appreciate its delicious sauce.
As a curiosity, there is a day dedicated to the Calderillo Bejarano. Every second Sunday in August, thousands of Bejaranos gather in El Castañar (a beautiful natural setting) to taste several portions of this typical dish and choose the one that deserves to be the winner of the contest for the best Calderillo Bejarano. Do you want to know how to prepare this highly valued stew?
Ingredients for Calderillo Bejarano Recipe:
- 1 kg of boneless beef chuck
- 2 kg of potatoes
- 300 g of peas
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley and a bay leaf
- Olive Oil
How to Make It:
- Peel and dice the onion, wash and dice the pepper. Peel the garlic cloves, crushing them with a little chopped parsley.
- Cut the meat into pieces and, in a casserole dish with a drizzle of oil, reheat it together with the onion, pepper, a bay leaf and the garlic with parsley until the meat begins to brown. Also add the four spoonfuls of tomato sauce and stir. Then add the salt, pepper and the teaspoon of paprika. Stir everything so that it integrates well.
- Add the water needed to cover the mixture and leave it to cook for an hour and a half.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into large pieces by breaking them up after cutting a bit with a knife. Add them to the pot when the hour and a half has passed. Then, leave the pot on the stove until the potatoes are cooked (30 minutes more).
- During this time, heat water in a saucepan and, when it starts to boil, add the peas. Cook them for about 15 minutes, take them out and drain them.
- Add the drained peas and the bell pepper (roasted and julienned) 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Let it cool down a bit and you have your Calderillo Bejarano, do not forget to accompany it with a good piece of bread!