The arroz negro (arròs negre) recipe is very typical of the eastern coast of Spain, but it is prepared all over the country. This dish is eaten all year round, and especially in summer. The arroz negro recipe is perfect to serve with a white wine or a fresh drink. It can be cooked in a paella pan and an clay pot; you choose. It is ideal for lunch or dinner. In this case it is the ingredients are for two people. If you are going to be more, you only have to multiply them.
Ingredients for the arroz negro recipe:
- Green pepper and spring onion (half of each), tomato (1), squid (2), Bomba/medium grain rice (180 g.), fish fumet (500 ml.), squid ink (3 sachets), salt and olive oil
- For the alioli: garlic (1 clove), egg (1), vinegar, salt and olive oil (200 ml.)
How to make arroz negro:
- The first step will be to cut the pepper and onion into small pieces. Pour a dash of oil into the paella pan and sauté the pepper and onion. It will be enough with 10 minutes at medium heat, always checking if it is cooked before.
- Then add the tomatoes, previously peeled and cut into small pieces.
- Continue with the sofrito of your arroz negro on the heat until it is sautéed, for 10-15 minutes.
- While the sofrito is being prepared, clean the squid and cut them as you like. The next step will be to add them to the sofrito so that they are cooked in between five and seven minutes.
- Put the rice in the paella pan or clay pot and mix with the rest of the ingredients for three to five minutes. Add a pinch of salt and carefully pour in the fish fumet so that it does not splash.
- Continue adding the squid ink. If you think that two sachets are enough, you can reserve the third one for another occasion.
- To finish the arroz negro recipe, leave it on the heat for 20 minutes, first over a high heat and then lowering it.
- Once the heat is off, cover the arroz negro with a dry, clean cloth for at least 5 minutes so that it does not stick.
How to make alioli:
This arroz negro recipe is usually served with alioli. Alioli is prepared quickly by placing the egg, a dash of vinegar, the oil, a peeled clove of garlic and a pinch of salt in the glass of the mixer. Beat the ingredients together to make them consistent. Move the mixer gently up and down and it will be ready. Here is another recipe for alioli.