The tumbet mallorquín from the Mallorcan garden is a recipe that takes advantage of the products that the land offers in summer. A dish prepared exclusively with vegetables and potatoes in which the extra virgin olive oil also plays a fundamental role. All this topped with a good tomato sauce and a fried egg, as it could not be otherwise.
For the tumbet mallorquín we do not need so many ingredients, but they must be of good quality. Zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and potato. As it always happens, the higher the quality of the products, the better the final result we will get. A perfect dish as an accompaniment or even as an individual to open a menu before which your guests will fall surrendered.
Tumbet mallorquín. | Shutterstock
Ingredients for 4 portions of tumbet mallorquín:
- 2 potatoes
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium ones
- 2 red peppers
- Tomato sauce to cover
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 eggs for frying
How to make the tumbet mallorquín:
- To start with the tumbet, first prepare all the vegetables. To do this, peel and slice the potatoes. Wash well the zucchini and the eggplants and cut them also in thin slices. Then cut the peppers into thick strips.
- In a large frying pan, add a finger and a half of oil and bring to medium/high heat. In this oil, fry the potato slices first until they are well browned and cooked inside. Remove the potatoes on a plate with some paper to prevent the dish from being too oily at the end and salt.
- In this case, it is recommended to remove most of the oil from the pan after frying the potatoes and leave no more than a couple of tablespoons. This small amount will be more than enough to fry the red peppers. Cook thoroughly with a pinch of salt until they are well fried.
- Continue with the eggplant and zucchini slices. Add oil and a pinch of salt as the zucchini and eggplant require it. Always without overdoing it.
- Now all you have to do is to assemble the tumbet on a platter to brighten up the table. The traditional order starts with the potato and follows with the zucchini, eggplant and bell pepper. Finally add a good amount of homemade or good quality tomato sauce. Serve the tumbet with one fried egg per person if you wish to.