Legumes are always welcome at the table. A perfect way to nourish and enjoy with traditional spoon dishes. In this case, this kind of ‘fabada‘ version is a good option to include vegetables in the diet, without losing the opportunity to enjoy a good Asturian compango.
An easy recipe without many complications in which you basically have to put all the ingredients to cook in the same pot at low heat. This is the best way to get beans, faba beans or beans well cooked, without them falling apart. This way you also get a thick and tasty sauce worthy of being recognized as “manna from heaven”.
Beans with cabbage. | Shutterstock
Ingredients for 4 portions of beans with cabbage:
- 1/4 kg of white beans
- 1/4 kg of cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 Asturian chorizo sausage
- 1 Asturian blood sausage
- 1 piece of marinated bacon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and a few pepper balls
How to make beans with cabbage:
- As for almost all legume recipes, the beans should be soaked in cold water overnight. This way they will be cooked to perfection.
- In a large pot add the drained beans, the compango (chorizo, blood sausage and marinated bacon from Asturias), the onion, the carrots and the garlic. All the vegetables whole and peeled. Also add the bay leaf, paprika and about 4 pepper balls.
- Bring the pot to low heat to cook gently for at least 2 hours. This type of dish deserves to simmer for quite a long time. The result will be something worthy of kings.
- After 1 hour and 30 minutes of cooking, remove the onion, carrots and garlic from the stew. Grind them with a blender and a bit of the cooking water. Return the resulting puree to the pot again. Add also the cabbage cut in small pieces and let it cook during the last half hour. Add salt if necessary, and the stew is ready! All you need is time and love. And never stir with a spoon, only by stirring the pot!