This angel sponge cake is easy to prepare and tastes delicious. In other countries there are other variants of this sponge cake, but in Spain it is also very simple and delicious. Angel sponge cake, because it is considered an angel food, and it has been made for many years. The perfect snack.
It differs from other types of sponge cakes in its sweet taste and light texture. Without a doubt, this is what makes it stand out the most, in addition to its light colour. Made from egg whites, flour and a few other ingredients, this cake is always spectacular.
Angel sponge cake | Shutterstock
Ingredients for the angel sponge cake:
- 8 egg whites
- 135 g icing sugar
- 80 g white sugar
- 95 g pastry flour
- 1 small spoonful of lemon juice
How to make the angel sponge cake:
- First of all, put the oven to preheat, so that it is just right when we put the sponge cake in. As it is quick to prepare, this is always the first step to follow. Next, prepare the batter. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with a wire whisk, preferably. If you do it by hand, you have to beat vigorously so that the result is very similar to the one obtained with the whisk.
- Next, when you see that the egg whites are whipped, i.e. they do not fall out of the bowl and have a white colour, add the sugar. Add the sugar little by little, while continuing to whisk. When all the sugar has been added, add the teaspoon of lemon juice. Continue beating for a few minutes on high speed.
- Now, into the bowl, add the flour little by little. If you have a sifter, use it for this step, or pass the flour through a strainer and pour it little by little over the whipped egg whites. With the help of a spatula, incorporate the flour into the egg whites. A little help never hurts in this step. Mix the flour well into the egg whites and, once the batter is ready, move on to the next step.
- Place some baking paper in a metal baking tin, adjusting it to fit the space of the baking tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes. This will depend on the power of each oven. When you take the cake out of the oven, place it upside down on an oven tray in to allow it to cool. This way, it will come out of the mould more easily. Your angel sponge cake is now ready to eat, enjoy!